Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Scent of Christmas

Everyone has certain aromas they associate with Christmas; evergreen trees, candy canes, cookies baking.  For me that scent is pickling spices.

Every year, for as long as I can remember, our family Christmas party has been a tongue pickling party; as in cow's tongue.

My favorite pre-Christmas thrill was to go to my parents' house the day the tongues were stewing in the pickling juice and just breathe deeply.  The scent would go right to my core.  It meant a fun party in the evening and that Christmas was only two weeks away.

This year, my parents did not have their party, but my brother has taken up the tradition.  Even though I was unable to attend his party I still got to have the thrill of the scent as well as my first piece of tongue for the year.  I even have my own little container of tongue that will be fully pickled right at Christmas.

In a future blog I will explain the tradition, with photos!











No comments:

Post a Comment