Friday, August 23, 2013

The View From My Porch



The work on the streets that are bordered by Telegraph, Outer Drive, Cherry Hill and Lodge Lane continues.  As of this morning the work crew is digging up my street for the third time in as many weeks.  It is fascinating to watch.  Although, sometimes a bit inconvenient.  One of the workers just came to tell me that the water will be shut off again because they broke a water pipe.  As I sit here typing, I can see water spewing out of the hole in the ground and several men standing around waiting for it to be shut off so they can continue their work.

Our side of  the street received the great big cement pipes while the other side is currently being fitted with the smaller black pipes.  (I hope this bodes well for no more water in our basement!)

It is fascinating to watch the  excavator operator move that huge claw so gently to avoid the tiny gas pipes that are under the street.  It's like he's using his own fingers to gently dig away the dirt.  I tried to upload video of this process but my computer is being a putz.


The workers are friendly and don't really mind if they have spectators.  They are willing to answer questions and I haven't heard any of the children on the block getting told off for playing on the dirt mounds.  Even the big "kids" are trying new things as my 19 year old told me she climbed the steps in one of the largest pipes.


It's no less interesting than is was three weeks ago, and we are getting used to having all the big trucks rumbling up and down the street--my whole upstairs shakes when a trucker leaves with a trailer or two full of dirt and cement.

On the down side, we did loose five beautiful old trees before they began digging.  I wondered why until I saw the counter weight on the excavator whipping around.  The trees were really in the way of their progress.  I am hopeful that they will be replaced when the new grass seed is spread.

On the upside, all the neighbors are seeing a lot more of each other as we trek up and down the block to get to our vehicles or return home from an outing.  The neighbors on the side streets and into the next block have been ever so generous as to share their parking spaces with us.

We are all looking forward to the finished product; then we can all go get our vehicles washed and remove the layers of dust that coat them.  Oh, yes, and have nice smooth streets to drive on once again.


centeredinchrist1.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I'll be the kids are having a great time watching all that work going on. A fascinating front row seat to all the action!

    ReplyDelete