Friday, August 16, 2013

A Common Thread

Approximately 20 years ago, my mom started a quilt.  Not just any quilt mind you.  This quilt is unique in that it is a genealogy of her mother's side of the family, starting with her grandparents, Michael and Mary Ellen O'Connor.
The light blue patch is my grandmother, Marie; loving known as Ria.  My great-grandmother had 11 children and the quilt design only called for 8 patches so, on the quilt as in life, these siblings had to share. Because not all of her children married, the color coding used to trace the family works out well. 

You can trace my grandmother's family by following the blue color which is used in the center circle.


Grandma Ria and Grandpa Jay had four children before my grandpa died of Tuberculosis when my mom was seven.  


My parents, Noreen and John,  had seven.  That's me on the green patch.  Does that name look familiar?


 My dear one and I have our own, very full, patch.  I took after my great grandma in more ways than just her name sake.  If you check out the names on this patch and compare them to hers, there are many of the same wonderful names.  The lamp in the middle signifies my nursing degree.  Please note that my mother's has one as well. 


Come September 14, our second oldest will add her hubby to her patch.  Lots of room for kids on there! Oh, look, another nurse's lamp. 



We stretched it out for this shot and it is as long as my parents' dining room (~12 feet).  That's a lot of history. That's also a lot of sewing. It is not completely up to date, as it is difficult to keep up with that many people.  Mom works on it quite a bit. She did the nurse lamps this year as well as other professional symbols to show the degrees we have.  It is quite a labor of love and we are so grateful to her.  I told her today, "this may be the one thing we fight over one of these days."


2 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful legacy and a real labor of love. Beautiful! ~~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete