Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Losing Dad

Thankfully my dad is still with us physically. Mentally is another matter.

I watched my brother and sister-in-law take care of her mom and dad when they had dementia and Alzheimer's.

I watched my mom and dad take care of his mom and dad when they went through it.

Now, I am actively watching and helping my siblings help our mom take care of our dad.

As I contemplated writing this months ago, I had considered titling the post, "I choose to laugh."  I still think the sentiment has merit but now it is more in the losing stage than the laughing stage.

At first, little things he did that made us think his memory was going were cute and funny.

At this point, his agitation and confusion are more worrisome.

I'm blessed that for a couple of weeks before Easter he and I got to go for nice long walks together around the neighborhood.  This gave us together time and it gave my mom some alone time.  Beneficial for all of us.  Lately, he doesn't recognize the neighborhood or the even the house on some days, so he won't walk with me anymore.  But, he has his golf stroke counter and so we sit in the living room looking out the big front window and count cars together.  He has two counters so anyone who is visiting can be in on the fun. :-)

My siblings and I have banded together and we're putting plans in place. We are well aware that any plan may change at any time but we're willing to be flexible to be there to support our parents who have been there for us always.

One thing about having the best parents in the world is that it makes it a joy to help!

I may post some of the funnier moments at some point or maybe I'll just keep giving updates on how we're doing.  At any rate,  you can add this dimension of our lives to your prayers as well.

PS- The chemo treatments are going well with no severe side effects as yet.  Thanks for prayers and support!  (see "When Cancer Hits Home" for details.)

1 comment: