Friday, September 28, 2012

Getting this homework business under control

Well, it's been six weeks since school started and my sixth grader and I are getting used to the nightly ritual.  I've come up with a system that benefits the second grader, the 6th grader, my parents and me.   My mom takes the second grader and does homework with her. It is a very quiet, peaceful environment and it is wonderful grandma-grandchild time.  My dad doesn't help with the homework, but he gets to enjoy the company. That leaves me free to work the 6th grader.

Two nights ago I hit upon another strategy:  use the college kids to help.

Amanda is currently taking a chemistry class that is a little overwhelming for her.  Well, Erin already had the class and so she got out her trusty white board and makers and showed Amanda how to use that large space to make the learning a little easier.

So, when there was a 6th grade science test to study for,  Amanda, after deciding that my method of going over the study notes was a boring and terrible way to study,  took the white board off the wall and set it in front of her little sister.  I went to my room for some quiet time.

When I came downstairs, there was the white board covered with information,  pictures, and a mnemonic device, and the sixth grader grinning from ear to ear because, not only did she have her big sister's undivided attention, she actually understood her science and was getting geeked to have a go at the test.

Grandma seems to be a good teacher too, because the spelling test only had one misspelled word.

So this week I'm grateful for a little less homework, my mom and dad, big sisters and white boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment