Saturday, October 5, 2013

Flour Power


Today was a creative day for us which, of course, involves messes!

Our tenacious one always has a book at the ready for me to read to her at the breakfast table.  This morning it was a Nancy Drew Clue Crew mystery that we were trying to finish.  Since she was done eating before the book was done, she decided she would try the volcano experiment the Rad Scientists were doing in the story.

She got out her plastic containers (many more than she needed for this simple experiment-she tends to love to be surrounded when she plays), her vinegar and baking soda, and a couple of spoons.

When the experiment went off without a hitch, she decided to add some more variables (she did not call them this but one day she will know the terminology).  She added green Kool-aid and sugar and still the chemical reaction for her volcano worked just fine.

By then I had finished the book and needed to get some work done.  So, I left her to her own devices with permission to add a few more ingredients to her concoctions.

She came upstairs about 40 minutes later and told me she had cleaned up her mess and she was ready to move on to another activity.  I checked on her clean up job.  Whoa.  Flour was one of her main ingredients and it was EVERYWHERE!!!  Not a lot, mind you, but a very thin layer over every inch of the floor in the dining room and some of the kitchen, on the seats of every chair, and all over the table. The only thing I can figure is that she shook out the towel she had used to contain the mess.

 
(The little lump is her creation, and if you look closely you can see the pile of flour on the rung of the chair and the dusting on the floor.)

  Thankfully, she stacked her used dishes and put them on the counter and did not rinse everything down the drain for I am sure it would have turned to the consistency of plaster of paris in our garbage disposal.

I called her into the kitchen and told her I needed a little more help cleaning up.  When I asked her to sweep, she said, "I just did!"  Oops.  I did it the second time around.

The afternoon brought on a flurry of pie baking.  A friend of Michael's brought over two pies last week and, since the pie plates couldn't be sent back empty, our second youngest daughter decided to make pumpkin and apple pies.  (Yes, more flour!)

I had purchased pie pumpkins which still needed to be baked, and we had no apples so, while the pumpkins baked we hit the road to the fruit market (and squeezed several other errands in as well.)

I made the crusts and our little baker peeled, sliced and seasoned the apples.  This pie is going to work with Liz on Monday so we don't know yet how it tastes.

The pumpkin pies turned out beautifully.  My dear one went to Kroger for whipped cream because everyone knows you can't eat pumpkin pie without whipped cream.  He also helped clean up the mess that ensued during the baking process.  (Did I mention flour?)

Our tenacious one used the left over crust to create .  .  .  I'm not sure what.   Apparently it has apples and cinnamon.  I had to taste the pie first, so I'll find out tomorrow what this little creation tastes like. 






1 comment:

  1. Haha! I can definitely see the mess! Well, you had to be creative and being creative involves mess. But what intrigued me the most is your crepe looking pie. Looks unusuall for a pie though, So, how was it? :)

    -http://xobakingco.com/

    ReplyDelete